My latest Polka Dot Project used an all-over pin dot cotton fabric I got at JoAnn a long time ago and had this pattern paired with for almost a year before it finally became reality.
It's a slender style 1950s pattern, with an asymmetrical pocket that the skirt sweeps up to meet with pleats.
That's the special feature. The rest of it is simple - princess style lines.
I made this pattern, sizing it down about 3 in., and followed View 2 pretty closely.
Although you'll notice that my pocket ended up on the wrong side! That was one of those face-palm moments when I realized I was cutting out the single layer front skirt pieces on the wrong side of the fabric. Thankfully since I cut them all out on the wrong side, it still worked - just I ended up with a pocket on the right instead of the left.
Aren't the pleats cute, though?
The tiny round pearlized buttons and round buckle echo the polka dots.
I paired it with pearls and a white 1950s hat, but though white shoes probably would have matched better, I wanted another excuse to wear my new Chelsea Crew green sandals - one of the few retro style modern shoes that actually looks like a reproduction (more 1940s than 1950s though). I've seen ads in vintage magazines for sandals that look just like this, and have another pair of vintage ones that has an identical woven-crossed toe.
It's so much fun to see an idea come to life, especially after being in your mind and lying on a shelf for almost a year! When I realized I could make it as part of my Polka Dot Project, it got bumped up in my sewing queue and now crossed off.