Last year I made an autumn-hued 2 piece 1950s outfit for Thanksgiving. This year I wanted to change it up a little and do a non-typical fall dress for a 1940s Thanksgiving.
I'd had this pattern paired with this Wildflower abstract berry print fabric for a while, and was happy to make it up finally.
I had a little challenge with the ruffles, but it came together smoothly overall. I could not figure out how they were telling me to put the collar and facing on, so I just skipped those instructions and did it the old-fashioned way. Though I have a feeling if I had been able to figure out what they were telling me it would have been a nice shortcut.
The skirt had 4 narrow gores in the front - so fun! Though you can't see them well in this fabric.
This was my first pattern that had elbow darts on both sides of the sleeve. Very comfortable to wear! Though me being me, they don't quite match up. :-)
I tried it with a self belt that tied in the front with a bow, but decided it was too distracting from the neck ruffles, so opted for a simple side-buttoned belt which I like very much. The buttons were vintage glass ones I picked up from an antique store (I think). I also was happy to pair the dress with my 1940s purple gloves. Finally - something to wear them with!
And again, since I didn't make a muslin first, I shortened the torso a little too much, so my belt repairs the damage by hiding the high waistline and putting it at the right place.
The other change I made to the pattern was to make the back dart tucks into actual darts since I don't like blousiness in the back - even for the sake of Period Correctness!
Taking photos on a windy day, in a dress with ruffles, is challenging!
It's a very comfortable, cheery dress, pleasant to make and fun to wear. I want to make this pattern again in a solid fabric. And I felt very 1940s for Thanksgiving!