Springtime! Away go the wools and out comes the cottons. I'll still be using rayon and probably making some long sleeved things yet, but it is good to match the newness of green grass and flowers and sunshine by wearing light colors!
Yet another 1930s pattern has joined my "done" list in 2016. This one I bought a while ago and when I opened it to make this dress, I found the instructions were missing. Oh, dear! Thankfully I've done enough sewing that, along with the pattern illustrations, I had no trouble putting this dress together minus the instructions. A first for me!
The sleeves were one element I wasn't sure I could do on my own just from the pictures, so I substituted with sleeves from another pattern. Cute, huh?
This dress is more fitted through the hips than the other 1930s things I've made so far...I wouldn't want it any tighter. It has lovely gore detail in the front, and each gore flares out at the bottom to make a pretty flared skirt.
(I apologize for the poor outdoor photos...it was so windy and sunny I had a hard time finding a spot to take photos!)
I intended this to be a house dress because of the fabric choice, so I added the white rickrack and flower buttons. (The neck is nicely filled in by my modesty slip - but it will be easy to cut higher on the next make.)
However, I realized that paired with other accessories, it could also be dressed up to be a pretty summer tea dress! The 1940s hat I made last spring (find the pattern here) was a perfect match, and I always love a chance to sport these gorgeous gauntlets. Gingham was not just used for kitchen curtains and aprons, and looking at some of the ways this print was featured in the 1930s makes me confident that this dress can bridge the gap between a house dress and a dressier outfit.
I had some difficulty with the fit. The waist was too large for me. I took it in but even once I had adjusted it enough that it began to feel too tight at the bust, the waist was still inches too loose while as I mentioned, the hips are snug. I wonder if that is purposeful in the design since it has absolutely no gathers or darts at the waist front or back. It's kind of odd. Have any of you come across similar fit issues in a pattern like this?
I didn't like the childishness of a big gingham bow in the back. Besides, I can't tie one on myself that looks nice. So I wrapped the girdle twice and pinned the ends in front and like how that looks so much more! Besides, the overlapping pointy ends add another Art Deco element.
Since the day was sunny, the lighting indoors was nice enough that I had to try taking a few photos featuring my vintage hand painted vanity, which I use every single day and love, despite the streaky and spotted mirror.
This dress was enjoyable to make and pretty easy, despite having no instructions. I love the versatility of the pattern and the neck options (though I don't know how soon I'll tackle that yoke with no instructions); how it is such a classic style of that era and can be worn for many occasions depending on fabric choice and trimming.