The April tutorial will be delayed a week, for the simple reason that I just don't have time to take the photos this week! But as a sneak peek, I'll tell you that it will be a hairstyle tutorial this month, so check back next week for that.
Meanwhile, here is one of my newest creations, and so far my favorite classic 1930s dress. I made it from a pattern borrowed from my sister-in-law, and it was truly a fun project. Lots of interest and nothing headachy!
(Excuse my twiggy spring background!)
The sleeves were the selling point for this pattern. I just had to try them even if they were challenging, and actually liked them a lot. They were easy to put together, despite the weirdly shaped sleeve piece, and by the time the sleeves had taken shape and were finished, that also meant the yoke and the bodice were complete - and without setting any sleeves in the armholes, or the reach issues of kimono sleeves!
The whole process was enjoyable. I liked the top-stitching and the way all the pieces came together for the bodice, and the self-facing on part of the neckline. The skirt is made with just two pieces. The back piece has 2 darts, the front is left as is. 2 darts and 2 side seams. You can't get much simpler than that!
I used a rayon/poly blend in a fine pink and gray plaid, and chose to highlight the gray for the yoke and sleeves. I did a bit of fiddling with the pattern. The front piece is supposed to be cut on the bias and gathered into a V by a brooch. I liked that look, but didn't want to cut the plaid on the bias so I cut it straight. Perhaps that was why it didn't look right gathered, so I altered it by doing a pleat in the front instead. It makes a nice spot to pin a brooch.
I tend to over-fit things because I hate a too blousy feel, whether it's period correct or not, which it is for many 1930s fashions. But this pattern hit a happy medium because it's blousy but not too much so. And just like my gingham 1930s dress, the bodice pieces had no gathers or darts where it attaches to the skirt. I'm beginning to think that must have been a common design element in the 1930s.
Instead of doing a traditional belt, I opted for a self-drafted belt with pointed ends that loop back on each other and button. Using the gray fabric for covered buttons ties the fabrics together perfectly. And I get a little more of that special Art Deco flair.
I paired the dress with this pretty pink hat. I'm not sure when to date it, but it looks like it could be 1930s. I just love the feather and rhinestone detail.
White gloves and 2 tone gray spectator pumps with an ankle strap complete the ensemble. I'll tweak the pattern a bit next time (I already have plans for the next version) but until then I'm quite happy with my first version, both assembly and finished garment! It's a lovely addition to my spring wardrobe and to my rapidly growing 1930s garment collection.