I picked up 3 yards of this fun print at JoAnn last winter. It reminded me of a 1930s feedsack fabric, and I thought it would be perfect for an everyday dress since it is a dark print. And in my favorite colors.
Well, I learned something - next time I'll get at least 3 1/2 yds if it is a one way print! It was very tight to get the pieces all on the right direction, though there were only three of them and the dress is slender. I had to take a pleat in the sleeve and it still hardly fit.
But I was so pleased with the result! It's perfect for summer. My little sister calls it my "fireworks dress" because of the colors. Come to think of it, it would be a good dress to wear on the 4th of July!
This is the second version of this pattern (the first was my gray dress) so it was doubly easy to put together since I knew what I was doing already. I did the same adjustments to the pattern as last time, making it open with a back zipper instead of a side zipper.
I changed it up a bit by looping back the collar (made from white linen) instead of crossing it, and adding tiny red buttons as decoration on the sleeves and bodice.
I really like how the skirt isn't too tight, but also isn't too full to be a bother for wearing it while doing housework and normal activities.
Again, it can be worn without a belt. The triple front darts are both decorative and useful for a proper fit, and I probably will wear it without a belt during the hotter summer days ahead. But I also like pairing it with a red belt.
These are my newest vintage shoes. Not quite the right era, but I'm having a terrible time finding 1930s shoes. But I love these even if they aren't just right to wear with this outfit and was happy to snatch them off of Ebay for a good price.
It takes so much less time to cut out a dress that has only a few pieces to it! And not so long to sew it up, either. I made it from start to finish in 4-5 hours, I believe. Though I cut some corners by topstitching the hem on the sleeves and skirt instead of doing it by hand. The only hand work was for the collar and zipper, and adding the buttons. Hand sewing on a breezy back porch with a gorgeous view, is definitely not a trial!
I do love it when I can combine a needed project with a want-to project - and that's what this one was. Besides being fun to make, almost period correct, and a success. Can't beat that combination!