Finally, I can share pictures of one of the few makes from last fall that didn't get a proper write up!
This dress was not on my sewing queue at all, until after Davy was born. I had so many rough nights that often I wasn't able to get dressed until late in the morning. That is not me at all! I have never been a pajama-all-day sort of person. So I had the idea to whip up something super quickly that I could just step in and go without taking the time to add all the right accessories and undergarments, yet would not feel like pajamas.
My late '30s/early '40s dressing gown pattern made years ago - and now starting to wear out - came to mind as something that would potentially be perfect, if it was made in a dress length (and a full front closure added).
I had a twin size flat sheet on my shelf that I've had for probably 4 or 5 years. I originally intended it for a 1940s dress, but it never quite made it to the top of the queue. I saw it in the fabric stash and decided that for a wearable muslin sort of informal dress/robe I didn't want to use a nicer cotton, so I grabbed the sheet. I couldn't fit sleeves onto the sheet when cutting it out, so I patched them out of a contrast color - again, not really putting much thought into it or caring what the final product looked like. I just wanted something to wear!
Then when I tried it on, I had placed the ties inches too low. It looked terrible. Back onto the mending/alteration pile it went. Finally months later I took the time to rip out and move up the ties, tried the dress on again - and loved it!
I really was pleasantly surprised by how well it turned out. Like I intended, it's super quick to put on, retaining the comfort of a robe but with a more formal appearance and doesn't feel like pajamas at all.
Because it was so quick and simple, and I didn't care how it looked, I added a few trial elements like top stitched decorative bands on the sleeve cuffs and rickrack edging to define the back yoke. I really liked how both of those ended up, so I intend to use them on more project to come.
The fabric is comfortable and cheerful, just the thing for a spring-ish house dress to brighten up winter, or wear in warm weather. It's a different color pattern than I usually choose, so it adds a nice dimension to my weekly rotation. It doesn't need ironed after washing, which is a huge plus.
Even though I intended to wear this as an in-between-pajamas-and-properly-getting-dressed-for-the-day outfit, I actually find myself using it as a house dress and wearing it all day. Definitely one of those sewing projects that finished out better than I initially expected it too!
And the princess seams and adjustable waist ties makes it a perfect fit no matter my current size. I filed away the idea of making this pattern again as a dress I can wear during and after pregnancy, yet it doesn't look "maternity".
I know the background is futuristic, since the stove wouldn't have been made until over 10 years after this dress was in style, yet when you're photographing a house dress on a gray day, it still makes a good setting.
So, quite accidentally, this project was definitely a success! And since I'm in the mood for floral cottons after sewing with darker, heavier fabrics all winter, it will get a lot of wear.