This was a very unusual sewing project for me because I never wear yellow! Yet this fabric was too cute to resist, and I actually don't mind how it looks on me, so I guess being adventurous with color is paying off. This is the only yellow me-made thing in my closet - and I love the splash of color and variety it contributes!
The pattern was a mail order pattern from the early to mid '30s - my first 1930s project this year so far. At first glance, the illustration looked like it was a dress with a peplum, so that's what I thought I was making until I got out the pieces to cut out the dress. I discovered it's actually a 2 piece, which I didn't mind at all since that means I have more versatility and can mix and match.
The instructions were very sparse, so it's a good thing I have had experience putting together similar garments.
I made the yoke and tie out of white eyelet. I didn't like either of the sleeve options, so I went with a cute puffed sleeve that took less fabric from another pattern.
This was from the day when long skirts were "in". The original skirt pieces looked like a maxi skirt when I cut them out. I hemmed this one up 3 inches and it still is quite long.
The skirt construction was a bit interesting since there was a front and a back piece, both cut on the fold, with no shaping at all. To give my hips some extra room, I cut the back piece a little wider and added 2 small darts to shape it.
And it had no waist band! No yoke, no waist band, nothing - it was constructed by stitching some belting to the top of the skirt, turning in the belting, and whipstitching it down. I've never made a skirt like that before, but it did make it super easy.
It was supposed to close with snaps, but I decided to go futuristic and use a zipper - but I did use a vintage metal zipper, if that makes it any better. :-D
While not a reproduction quilting cotton, it has a very vintage vibe. I love the cheery spring look. It matches the daffodils!
And I love cherries! I kept with the theme and accented with a cherry brooch and earrings.
My brown and white Peggy spectators were perfect with this outfit - showing that they work for 1930s as well as 1940s!
I can wear the blouse with or without a belt. With a belt is more Period, but without is more comfortable. I flatlined it with some lightweight cotton broadcloth and topstitched the hem - it actually was pretty quick to make. The vintage red buttons are exactly the same color as the print, and I added some coordinating tiny ones on the sleeves just for fun.
I did have a some fit issues with the blouse, so if I make it again I hopefully will get a better fit. Despite that, I really like how this outfit turned out and it definitely has inspired me to make more 2-piece dresses!